Middle St. Vrain
Boulder County, Colorado
Roosevelt National Forest
Boulder Ranger District
View this on the Colorado Trailheads Map
Forest Service Road: 114.1
Trail Type: Straight Through
Nearby Towns: Nederland, Jamestown, Ward
Nearby Trails: Coney Flats, Bunce School Road, T-33A Plane Crash, Park Creek
Trail Length: 3.6 miles
Elevation: 8,707 to 9,616 feet
Recommended by Les
This is the perfect trail for experienced drivers as well as drivers ready to take their easy wheeling to the next level. It is a moderate trail with obstacles that can be as easy or as difficult as you care to make them.
Follow signs to Camp Dick -- the road is paved at first but easy to miss.
The trail starts at a large parking area just past Camp Dick, a campground with modern pit toilets. During the summer months it might be difficult to find a parking space but there is always room to air down and get ready.
The trail is almost always wide enough to pass another group, and it starts out as a rocky road just past the parking lot. There is a "guardian" obstacle of rocks you must cross at the start. If this obstacle is too challenging then you should probably skip the rest of the trail (Bunce School Road is at the other end of the camp and it is much easier).
There are larger rock obstacles mixed with smaller, bumpier areas along the way. You'll pass through these as well as other areas with logs buried in the ground, but the main obstacle is one with a large boulder at the end of it off to the right.
The easiest way through this obstacle is to start on the right side of the trail and make an "S" turn through it and out on the left side of the trail. The most challenging way is over the large rock on the right side, which is probably too large for stock 4x4 vehicles.
You'll find a few stream crossings on this trail but nothing more than a few inches deep. When you come to the crossroads where the Coney Flats trail meets Middle St. Vrain you'll see that trail go up a hill to your left. Even if you are planning to take this trail as well it is a very short distance to the end of Middle St. Vrain from here and worth the trip. Continue on past Coney Flats to the end.
When you get to the end there is enough room to turn everyone around. It is also a very scenic place for lunch, with a bridge over the stream. This is also where a lot of long and beautiful hiking trails start, so you will probably see a lot of vehicles parked here. It is also a great place for stream fishing.
Coney Flats is a little more difficult than Middle St. Vrain with bigger rocks and a large "lake" to cross. If you do not do the Coney Flats trail you will need to go back the way you came in.
Information last updated on September 25th, 2016.
- September 25th, 2016: ran by Dennis, Monica and Tim
- July 5th, 2014: ran by Austin, Bob S., Frank, Gary, Monica and Roger
- October 22nd, 2011: ran by Austin, Bill S., Bob R., Bryan, Jim, Matt K., Monica, Roger and Ryan S.
- July 7th, 2007: ran by Bill S., Don, Eric B., Gary, Jed, Julie, Ladd, Mike S., Monica, Perry, Steve B., Todd and Walt
- July 8th, 2006: ran by Bob S., Dave B., Gary, Jed, Julie, Ladd, Mark U., Mike S., Monica, Perry, Rob C. and Sean G.
- November 5th, 2005: ran by Bob S., Carlos, Dave B., Don, Eric B., Jed, Ladd and Perry
- July 2nd, 2005: ran by Alanna, Carlos, Cheryl, Dane, Dave B., Derek, Eric B., Jed, Ladd, Mike S., Mike C., Monica, Perry, Rob C. and Steve G.
- November 6th, 2004: ran by Bob S., Carlos, Cheryl, Dane, Dave B., Eric B., Evan, Gary, Jed, Joe P., Marla, Mike V., Mike S., Perry and Robert
- July 3rd, 2004: ran by Alanna, Bob R., Brian D., Chris B., Eric, Jed, Joe P., Kendall, Ladd, Landon, Mike R., Monica, Nathan and Perry
- September 1st, 2003: ran by Kendall, Ladd and Monica
- July 5th, 2003: ran by Beth, Bill A., Ed, Jenn, Joe P., Joey, Laura, Mike R., Missy, Monica, Perry and Tom
- June 29th, 2002: ran by Monica and Rich G.
From Boulder, take Canyon Boulevard west to Nederland. Take Route 72 north from Nederland 16.2 miles to Peaceful Valley. Follow signs to Camp Dick on the left to get to Middle St. Vrain trail which is at the far end of the Camp.
For an additional challenge run Coney Flats after this trail. Coney Flats intersects Middle St. Vrain near the end of the trail as a very sharp left turn up a hill. You can run to the end of Middle St. Vrain and turn around to get back to the start of Coney Flats in about five minutes -- it's worth it for the scenery but there are no additional obstacles.
The Starbucks at 3033 Arapahoe Avenue, Boulder, CO. This is also immediately next to a gas station, Moe's Bagels and King Soopers.