Mount Herman Road
El Paso County, Colorado
Pike National Forest
Pikes Peak Ranger District
View this on the Colorado Trailheads Map
Forest Service Road: 320
Trail Type: Straight Through
Nearby Towns: Monument
Nearby Trails: Rampart Range Road, Schubarth Road, Winding Stairs Road, Ice Cave Creek Road
Season: April through November
Trail Length: 10.55 miles
Elevation: 7,385 to 9,443 feet
This trail offers a bit of everything from the Rampart Range Road area, and it connects Rampart Range Road to the town of Monument and I-25. It's a great way into or out of the network of trails.
You can start at either end. If you start from the town of Monument, it starts as a main road through town, then starts its climb up and over to Rampart Range Road. The Monument side has many, many switchbacks once you pass around Mount Herman. None of the swithbacks is particularly tight or steep, and an SUV with decent clearance should do fine.
The first part of the trail is also fairly rocky, with some rutted sections. The switchbacks finally end when you get to the top, and the road really smooths out. The rest of the road is in much better condition, though there are some rutted spots. Be sure to watch for some really washed out sections.
There is yet another Balanced Rock at the top, right next to the road. This is not the same Balanced Rock you will find on the Balanced Rock trail or in the Garden of the Gods park. It is right next to the trail, and the top of it actually hangs over the trail.
Continue on the smooth road until you end at Rampart Range Road. This is a great trail for anything but a low passenger car.
- March 21, 2015: ran by Chad T. and Matt K.
- June 14, 2014: ran by Ben, Bryan, Holly, Monica and Walt
- January 29, 2012: ran by Chris, Gary, Matt K. and Walt
- January 15, 2011: ran by Jeffrey, Matt K., Roger and Terry
- February 6, 2010: ran by Bill S., Gary, Matt K. and Walt
- January 2, 2010: ran by Bill S., Matt K., Terry and Tim
- October 24, 2009: ran by Bill S., Bob S., Jeffrey, Mike S., Roger, Ryan S. and Walt
- June 14, 2009: ran by Mark F., Matt K., Steve B., Terry and Tim
- September 29, 2007: ran by Dane, Don, Matt K., Mike S. and Roger
- August 4, 2007: ran by Bill S., Dane, Dave B., Don, Ladd, Monica, Steve B., Todd and Walt
- September 2, 2006: ran by Bill S., Cheryl, Dane, Jeff L., Mike S. and Monica
- August 26, 2006: ran by Cheryl, Dave E., Gary, Julie, Mike S., Monica, Roger and Walt
From I-25, take exit 161 to Monument. Take 2nd Avenue west and turn left on Mitchell Avenue. Turn right on Mount Herman Road and follow it up as the pavement eventually turns to a dirt trail.
Meet on 2nd Avenue in downtown Monument.