Ice Cave Creek Road
El Paso County, Colorado
Pike National Forest
Pikes Peak Ranger District
View this on the Colorado Trailheads Map
Forest Service Roads: 323, 324
Trail Type: Loop
Nearby Towns: Woodland Park, Deckers, Sedalia
Nearby Trails: Rampart Range Road, Winding Stairs Road, Hotel Gulch
Season: April through November
Trail Length: 7.66 miles
Elevation: 8,768 to 9,335 feet
This trail was formerly defined as one that ended at an intersection with the Winding Stairs Road trail. The more difficult half of that trail was closed in late 2008, so the easier half of Winding Stairs Road has been combined here with Ice Cave Creek Road to make a loop. Note that the difficulty of Ice Cave Creek Road has not changed.
This is a fairly easy trail that starts and ends on Rampart Range Road. The road can be traveled in either direction, though passing may be tight and challenging in places.
The trail is usually fairly wide and it is usually smooth. There are a few sections, however, that have ruts from one side to the other along the trail and you can't get around them. A passenger car may not have enough clearance, but an SUV would be fine.
This is a nice drive to take if you are in the Rampart Range Road area. There are also quite a few secluded places to have a nice lunch.
Information last updated on January 10th, 2015.
- January 10th, 2015: ran by Chad T. and Matt K.
- January 29th, 2012: ran by Chris, Gary, Matt K. and Walt
- January 2nd, 2010: ran by Bill S., Matt K., Terry and Tim
- October 24th, 2009: ran by Bill S., Bob S., Jeffrey, Mike S., Roger, Ryan S. and Walt
- September 29th, 2007: ran by Dane, Don, Matt K., Mike S. and Roger
- August 4th, 2007: ran by Bill S., Bob R., Dane, Dave B., Don, Jed, Ladd, Monica, Robert, Steve B., Todd and Walt
- September 2nd, 2006: ran by Bill S., Cheryl, Dane, Jeff L., Mike S. and Monica
- August 26th, 2006: ran by Gary, Mike S., Monica and Walt
From Denver, take I-25 to exit 187 and Happy Canyon Road and Highway 85. Just before the town of Sedalia, turn south on Highway 67. Follow this to the turn for Rampart Range Road on the left. If you get to the town of Moonridge you've gone too far. Take Rampart Range Road 27.3 miles south to the trailhead.
Meet at the Happy Canyon Road exit 187 off of I-25.